Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Kam Ta

On the flight from Korea to Los Angeles, I sat next to an elderly Korean couple. I found myself accidentally trying to communicate in Hindi.

I didn't even land in the United States before I noticed myself meaningfully (from my perspective) but aimlessly (from others perception) trying to communicate with the "Indian Wobble" - a gesture that means, yes and no. A gesture that requires one to pay extra attention to detail, expression, and intensions of others. A gesture that is a natural part of communicating in India. A gesture that I already begin to miss, as my wobble doesn't carry to same meaning as it once did during my time in The Bharat ("The Land: India").

Many people go to India to find "enlightenment" - to find "themselves." I had the same ambiguous and lofty ideas in mind, but discovered that what I was searching for I already had inside of me. I am the same person now, but with more direction, more confidence - and more internal drive.

Thank you in Korean: Kam-ta-hum-de-ya!

No comments: