Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Sleeping Amenities

1 AM at the Downtown Train station:

I traveled on the last train into Churchgate (downtown) station last night. As I exited the train, several guards boarded to make sure there was no one trying to spend the night on the train.

One ragged man who was lying in one train car, was poked with a stick and scurred off like a dog, and chased out of the station.

I continued walking down the landing to find about 20 men in train-uniforms all sleeping on the floor by the ticket booth. I'm guessing these men would be driving trains first thing in the morning and the floor of the ticket booth is the train employees "overnight amenities."

Heading towards my destination, I had to climb over another 50 or so women and men sleeping in front of the train station enterance.

No comments: