Sunday, February 06, 2005

Tasty Bites

Trying out the poultry at the hotel, and so far so good. Didn’t know if I didn’t want spicy food I had to ask for “bland.” I just asked for the “mild” spicy Garlic & Sauce Chicken… HOOOOOT!! Wow, I can’t imagine what “spicy” might really mean here.
At our residence, for 80 Rupees ($2) you can get a descent portion meal (usually with a wide variety of sauces to add to your dish) which includes at-your-door service. Despite the notion that Indian portions are much smaller, you do get a lot of food for the amount you pay. (Sidenote: As it is disrespectful to not finish what is served to you, most of what others cannot eat, I will finish. I've been nicknamed the groups "Human garbage disposal." I see it as a great opportunity for me to try more flavors of Indian curry). My favorite so far is the spicy garlic sauce chicken with a side of Indian bread called Rita, and stuffed potatoes dipped in date sauce.
So far, no incidents of getting sick from the foods. Only an adjustment to all the new flavors. (Papaya pills help immensly with digestion). There's a type of "spicy" here that I can't quite describe: It's not "hot" spicy. It's not "steamy" spicy.. but more of a "sharp" spicy. In any case, it's all tasty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, Is the flavor you're talking about a "cumin" spice? I used to use cumin in the caldio (mexican stew)I would make. But I think it is used in Indian food. I will ask some of my Indian students at Daffron about the spices their moms use in cooking. - MOM

~ Yoshi :-) said...

The Indian spice most commonly used is not cumin. It is called "Masala."

Anonymous said...

and masala is made of many indian spices...cumin included!

~ Yoshi :-) said...

lol, good point! I hadn't learned until later in my trip that "Masala" literally means "spice".

Thanks for pointing out that there's cumin in Masala. I actually recognize that flavour now :-)