Saturday, February 12, 2005

"In a Pickle"

All I would like is a Dill Pickle. If you walk into a street store and ask for pickles, they will tell you, "of course we have pickles! We have pickled onion, pickled tomatoe, pickeled vadu, pickeled mango..."

"But what about DILL Pickles?"

"Dill? What's that?"

"AMERICAN Pickle??"

"ah! no, no!"

It appears that in India, "pickle" basically is any spice that is pickeled in a jar. All spicy of course. A "United States" pickle is not a common thing...

All I would like is a Dill Pickle. lol.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess they do not grow cucumbers in India. What other foods do you miss? -Mom

~ Yoshi :-) said...

I don't "miss" any food in particular yet. Being here, it's hard to talk about the things that I miss when I see the way many people live here. Yet, here are some foods I didn't realize how much I enjoyed them until they were not around:
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream. They have a Baskin Robins, but "Cookie Dough Flavour hasn't been released in the Indian market yet."
- Oreos, Chips Ahoy
- American Pizza. I went to a Domino's the other night, and the cheese pizza was sooooo tasty. Many foods here are especially marked "vegie" or "meat," as many Hindu's don't eat them aminals.